Dixie and Paul’s experience — with a personal perspective on the reality, the consequences, and survival of traumatic injury and illness–offers comfort, hope and practical tips and tools to help others facing seemingly insurmountable obstacles.
Examples of past speaking events include:
- Dixie & Paul: Grand Rounds – Tufts Medical Center an internationally respected academic teaching hospital in Boston w full-service Floating Hospital for Children.
1. Learn powerful tips & tools to help parents through a child’s traumatic brain Injury or illness
2. Learn how one family navigated through the new terrain of the injured child from the ER, ICU to Rehab and home
3. Learn how the mother of eight sustained the rest of the family and how they ultimately coped and survived
- Keynote for Washington State Brain Injury Conference – Embracing Life & Living Well After Brain Injury. Title of Dixie’s talk – Challenges, Changes, & Choices for Caregivers.
- Dixie was the key note inspirational speaker at Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Childhood Cancer Symposium. The Childhood Cancer Symposium is an educational resource, providing families with the opportunity to learn about issues and topics of treatment and beyond, while meeting other families in a group setting. www.alexslemonade.org
- Dixie was one of three memoir authors who spoke at the Concord Festival of Authors
(Concord Festival of Authors) For a look behind the scenes at the impact of brain injury on their families and the special challenges they faced in helping their loved ones recover: Event – Life After Brain Injury: Havoc, Hope, and Healing.
- Braintree Rehabilitation Hospital
(braintreerehabhospital.com) Dixie’s talk and power point – Preparing For The Unthinkable – Caregiving Tips! How doctors, nurses, and speech, occupational and physical therapists can better help a parent through a medical crisis.
- Dana Farber Hospital
(dana-farber.org) Dixie and Paul have been advocates and keynote speakers sharing their harrowing journey and inspirational story at numerous fundraisers for the integrative therapies programs at the Zakim Center at Dana Farber/Jimmy Fund in Boston, MA., especially for the music therapy program.
- The Leonard P. Zakim Center for Integrative Therapies
(Zakim Center for Integrative Therapies web site ), David S. Rosenthal, MD, Medical Director.
- Franciscan’s Hospital For Children
(franciscanshospital.org) Dixie and Paul have spoken at numerous Franciscan Hospital fundraising events, most often as keynote speakers, offering hope and helping to raise funds for the hospital and children in need.
- Lyrics For Life: Operation Swan Dive
(Lyrics For Life)
Paul joined forces with Operation Swan Dive to help raise money for Lyrics for Life, a charity that helps kids with childhood cancer.
- Massachusetts Brain Injury Association
Paul and Dixie have spoken at schools and camps about the importance of helmet/bicycle saftey and the consequences, challenges and survival of traumatic brain injury.
Also speaking and exhibiting at TBI conferences and support groups for caregivers
- Mike-FM Radiothon:
Dixie and Paul participated in this charity event to help benefit Franciscans Hospital for Children.
- Pitching In For Kids
(pitchinginforkids.org) – Pitching In For Kids was founded by Boston Red Sox players Jason Varitek and Tim Wakefield. Paul was one of two keynote speakers at this charity event sharing his harrowing journey and inspirational story to help raise money for other kids in need.
- UMass Medical-Coalition for Kids
(read more) An organization supporting the prevention of brain injury through the use of helmets and helmet safety. Dixie and Paul have shared their story of surviving a TBI, bringing awarness to the consequences from not wearing a helmet.
- W.A.T.C.H. – World Against Toys Causing Harm
(toysafety.org) Paul has spoken about the consequences of not wearing a helmet and the importance of helmet safety for this national organization.
- Boston University: Educating Occupational, Physical and Speech students about the rehabilitation experience from a patient’s point of view.
- UMass Memorial Medical Center: Educating medical students about the intensive care unit, hospital experience from a families perspective and about recovery and prevention from traumatic brain injury.
- Dixie and Paul have shared their story at many local Helmet Safety Awareness Programs, speaking at a variety of schools, camps, hospitals and colleges including Holy Cross College, Blackstone Valley Middle School and Mendon & Upton child safety programs.
- The Muse & The Marketplace
(bostonwrites.com) Dixie has been a guest speaker on the “Mothers Who Write” Panel during the writers conference, The Muse & The Marketplace in Boston, Massachusetts, sharing her expertise into the writing and publishing world.